Akshaya Patra is the largest mid-day meal program on the planet - feeding 1.3 millions children a hot lunch at school everyday. Close to 8.1 million underprivileged children in India are out of school and into child labour in order to earn a single mean in a day. When the basic needs of a child, such as food are not met, education often becomes the last priority. Hence, Akshaya Patra is helping underprivileged children by providing them with a healthy, balanced meal that they would otherwise have to work for.
Akshaya Patra has proposed several challenges for teams to work on:
Fundraising - [ACTIVE] - Develop an online strategy that could match a donor with a child, thus involving not only big corporations but a common man to help the day-to-day activity funding
Tools to analyze and measure the performance of mid-meal programs - We could have a data acquisition and monitoring system to gauge the precise impact of the mid-day meal scheme on primary school enrollment and retention.
Application to store aggregated information - A one place application to show relevant data and information on the functioning of the organization to the stakeholders and the general public.
Online Accounting System - Replace physical records with digital maintenance of funds received and used.
Delivery and Route Optimization Technique - [ACTIVE] - Apply traveling salesman problem to minimize cost and increase operational efficiency to deliver meals to various schools.
Food Safety and Quality Assurance - Replace the manual checks for food safety like measuring and monitoring critical processes (such as temperature,etc) to automation.
- A Common man or a Corporation willing to donate.
- Akshayapatra Administrators [Full features]
- Sponsors/Donors [Limited access], primarily for - transparency/encouragement
- Web pages (as part of Akshayapatra website) – accessible to Donors/Akshapatra admins
- An installable/archive(jar/war etc) tool [Under discussion]
- With UI to display performance/analysis graphs, tables with statistics
- By accessing data from a datasource (such as DB). [Datasource may be common to all 6 tasks under this project.]
Fundraising [Use cases]
- Admin creates a child's profile
- Donor signs up as a single user or corporation
- Signup is mandatory to enroll in specific child support
- Anonymous signups are supported
- Donor views a child's profile
- Donor views the progress of a child's condition
- Donor selects a child and donation program
- Can filter children by condition, region etc.
- Can filter donation programs by amount, one time/recurring, frequency etc.
- Donor views their donation history
- Donor saves/updates their payment profile
- A graph which displays:
- Efficiency (number of children fed / cash inflow through donations) over time
- Number of children registered in school over time
- Number of new enrollments over time
- Graph can be zoomed in or out by the Time axis to analyze impact by week, month and year
- Graph can be filtered by school or region
- Contact Akshayapatra & collect required data
- Understand level of confidentiality required in publishing child profile
- Begin with Design of web pages for use-cases below.
- Identify technology/tools for implementation.
- Understand character and granularity(how detailed) of data available, so that Use-cases can be finalized.
Yet to begin.
Yet to begin.
Tools to analyze/measure performance of mid-meal programs -
Is this tool for internal organization use or for public forum ?
- Muthahareera Yasmeena - muthaheera[AT]gmail[DOT]com [Primary Contact]
- Ravi Nethi - nethiravi[AT]gmail[DOT]com
- Anil Dutt Yemmanuru - anildatt[AT]gmail[DOT]com
- Megha - mmyse96[AT]yahoo[DOT]com
- Neha Garg - neha.garg1209[AT]gmail[DOT]com
- Pranav Pai - pranavpai[at]codeforindia[dot]org